We are a United Methodist Congregation. As United Methodist Christians, it is our understanding that God desires for us to live lives that are holy–that doesn’t mean anything like “holier than thou.” Holy means set apart for God’s purposes. So, we worship together, we pray for one another, care for those in need and use our talents to help others know the love and grace of God because all of those things are part of what is important to God.
If you’re looking for our basic beliefs as a church, please visit The United Methodist Church website for a complete listing of basic beliefs.
Here is a brief history of our congregation:
Shiner Methodism dates it’s birth as far back as 1887. A small two story building was donated by David Kokernot, a converted Jew and devoted Methodist; for use as a Masonic Lodge on the top floor and the Methodist Church on the bottom. There were no regular pastoral appointments; the church was served by ministers coming from Yoakum and Gonzales when the word would be passed around for a week night service. The clergy would canvass the area on horse back, often over impassable road conditions.
In Dec 1890, the family of Capt Charles Welhausen moved to Shiner. Mrs. Welhausen organized a Sunday School, coming in to teach (on horse and buggy), organize and finance the Sunday School. Eventually the church would be organized and receive a full time pastor to serve the needs of the church and it’s constituency.
Over the years, the Shiner First United Methodist Church has been a vital presence in the community of Shiner. Located presently on a hill overlooking the community, the church is the first building one sees coming in from Hallettsville on Hwy 90 A, a symbol of the presence of the congregation’s commitment to bring meaningful ministry to the people of Shiner and beyond.